Saturday, February 20, 2021

Finished - “Isolation Focuses Beauty”

 Today I finally finished what I thought would be a simple flower painting. I’m still learning oil painting so there were a few oopsies as well as drying time between glazes. I had a hard time deciding how far to take it towards realism. I didn’t want it to look like a photo. It was also an experiment with Black 3.0. It didn’t turn out as black as I imagined when in bright light but in room lighting I am happy with the feeling of depth it brings.

I worked all over the painting once again adding glazes of colour, correcting lines, values, edges, and shadows. I then painted the outside and front edges of the cradle board it’s painted on with the Black 3.0 as well as two coats over the background. I found out you can’t paint the black over oil paint. It acts like a resist. Good thing they were just small corrections. I attached hanging hardware on the back and I’m calling it finished. Thanks for following my progress.

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Step 10

 Today the last glazes of colour on the petals were dry enough to work on again. I corrected the white highlight on the petal, worked on the stamens some more, added some shadows behind them, and worked on the leaves. Errors around the outside of the leaves will be corrected when I put in the black background. It’s getting close to being done. 

Monday, February 15, 2021

Step 9

 I did another glaze of colour on all the petals and they are basically finished except there might be a few touch ups of details after it dries. I was in too big of a rush to put shadows from the stamens over the white part of a petal and it spread. I worked some more on the stamens as well but still have more work to define those. 

Monday, February 8, 2021

Step 8

 I let the painting dry for a couple of days to make sure the layers had dried completely. If not, they tend to move around as you put on another glaze of colour. This morning I did more glazes on almost every petal and filled in the first colours on the last petal. I worked on the stamens as well. I still haven’t decided how to treat the raw wood edges of the cradle board. 

Friday, February 5, 2021

Step 7

 Today I added more glazes of colour but had to work mostly on the petals on the right because the ones on the left weren’t completely dry. I put in a base colour on one of the top petals as well. Most of the time was for laboriously picking out stamens deciding which ones were in shadow and which in sun. If you look closely you might see a tiny wasp start forming among the stamens. 

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Step 6

 I started picking out where the stamens are and worked on laying in the base colours on those more petals. I’m also finding the shadows. The photo was taken in bad lighting. No sun this afternoon.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Step 5

 Today was more of the same. I applied more glazes of colours to petals and leaves. I have to draw out the stamens in the centre before I can paint any more petals so I’ll do that this evening.

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Flower step 4

 I worked another hour on this today. The colours you see are basically base coats to figure out placement, where shadows are, etc. I have to wait for these base coats to dry to add glazes of colour and details. This is an ugly stage that I have to push through. I’m working one petal at a time to start working on values.