Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This Too Shall Pass step 1


Our art club's show in Nov has the theme signs and symbols and it took awhile for me to come up with something that fit the theme. This one needs a little explanation I guess.


Throughout history there have been many civilizations that grew to dominate the world of their time. They thought that their civilizations would last forever and grow stronger. Each have diminished and were replaced. In this same evolution of culture and values, our civilization will also follow the same course as the ones before. A hard reality to accept.


For this painting I could have chosen many more cultures but I wanted to keep the painting fairly simple and show the progress over recorded history. I chose the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and our own picking icons from each that represent each one and are immediately identifiable. In step 1 I started painting in a sky background that will unify them and started with a few of the darker areas of the statue.

No comments: